Sativa. The daytime, get stuff done, be creative, focus, and socialize weed. Popular for their ‘functional’ highs, sativas allow people to enjoy some of the benefits of cannabis while carrying on in their daily lives. Just to be clear though, there really are very few pure 100% sativa strains (or indica, for that matter). What you do find, are sativa dominant strains, with sativa to indica ratios as high 90%/10%. There are so many great sativas to choose from, and for this article, we’ll introduce you to 10 of the best.
The 10 most popular sativa strains:
- Green Crack: One of the all-time favorite strains here in the PNW, you have to get it while you can. Stores that sell this strain quickly sell out. Descended from Skunk #1, this wonderful strain was popularized (and supposedly named) by Snoop Dog. It’s head high and energizing effects are said to be unlike any other strain out there, and can even be overwhelming.
- Sour Diesel: Another popular sativa, this strain has a distinct, pungent diesel-like aroma, mixed with pine and citrus. This strain is descended from Chemdawg 91 and Superskunk. Like all good sativas, Sour Diesel will give you a clear, energizing head high, but this strain is also known for its dreamy, euphoric qualities as well.
- Blue Dream: A cross between legendary DJ Short’s Blueberry and Mr. Nice’s Super Silver Haze, Blue Dream is one of the most popular, mass-produced strains on the market, and for good reason. It’s just perfect. A favorite daytime medicine among the medical cannabis community, one Leafly reviewer calls it “The Bayer aspirin of bud, that should be in every medicine cabinet.”
- Super Silver Haze: Multiple winner of the High Times Cannabis Cup, this exquisite sativa is another legendary strain that must be experienced to be appreciated. This strain gets its genetics from Skunk, Northern Lights, and Haze, and is known for its uplifting high and medical benefits—most notably, supporting appetite and suppressing nausea.
- Jack Herer: Named after the cannabis activist and author of “The Emperor Wears No Clothes” (which should be in every stoner’s library!) this pure sativa strain provides a uplifting, creative, clear-headed high. Created in the Netherlands by Sensi Seeds in the mid 1990’s, this strain is a cross between Haze, Northern Lights #5, and Shiva Skunk.
- OG Kush: Believed to be a cross between Chemdawg and Hindu Kush, this strain’s genetics have spread far and wide, showing up in Purple Kush, Bubba Kush, Headband, and many other West Coast favorites. With its pine and lemon scents, this strain is known as a great remedy for stress, due to its lightening, euphoric, joyful effects.
- Headband: Known for its smooth, creamy smoke and its earthy, citrus flavor, Headband supposedly gets its name from the pressure you feel at the crown of the head after smoking it. A cross between OG Kush and Sour Diesel—both insanely popular sativas, this strain was destined to make this list!
- Maui Wowie: This sativa comes from the volcanic soils of Hawaii, and is known for its (fittingly) tropical, fruity, pineapple aromas with citrus and even diesel undertones. Its known for producing a high that’s motivating, active, and high-energy, and is a favorite daytime medicine within the medical cannabis community.
- Durban Poison: One of the few truly pure sativa strains, Durban Poison originally comes from the South African city of Durban. This world-class strain is known for its sweet smell, licorice flavor, and functional, uplifting, energizing high. This is a pure-bred strain—and though it is crossed into other hybrids, it is not itself a cross.
- G13: Urban legend says this strain was developed by the CIA in the 1960’s as part of a secret government research project. Myth or not, this strain was bred for absolute maximum potency, and therefore is not recommended for beginners. That said, of all the strains on this list, G13 is hands down, my favorite. It is very potent, but the clear, active, euphoric high is like no other I’ve experienced.